Thursday, January 26, 2012

Peppermint Meringues

Ingredients:
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
12 drops of food coloring

     Preheat oven to 200 degrees. line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until white and foamy, about 1 minute. With the mixer running, gradually add sugar in 3 additions, beating for 2 minutes between each addition. Beat until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes longer. Add powdered sugar and peppermint extract; Beat to blend, about 1 minute.
     Dot coloring over surface of meringue; DO NOT STIR (the coloring will form swirls when piped). Spoon meringue into a pastry bag, and cut the end about 1/2". (for an alternative use a plastic freezer bag) Twist top; pipe 1"rounds onto prepared sheet, spacing 1" apart.
     Bake meringues until dry, about 2 1/2 hours. Let cool completely, about 1 hour (meringues will crisp as they cool) Do Ahead: Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature between sheets of parchment or waxed paper.

I am making this recipe on Saturday. In the comments, I will share my experience!




2 comments:

  1. I just finished making them. Right now they are in the oven, I couldn't wait to tell you guys about my experience. I didn't have a 1/8 tsp measuring cup so i estimated. I will make another comment after they come out of the oven. BYE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After they came out of the oven me and my family agreed that the final product would taste good with whip cream. I was YUMMY!

      Delete